An Assessment on the Fresco Decoration and the Content of an Inscription in Theotokos’ Church in Cercke, near Leskovik
The main subject of this paper is the fresco decoration of the church of St. Mary in the village of Cerckë, near Leskovik. Attention has been devoted to some thematically innovative motifs and in the analysis of stylistic features, which reveal their affiliation in the artistic tradition occurred in a broader area in South Albania and western Macedonia in the course of 14th century. Another subject discussed in this paper is an inscription, which mentions the name of a certain Michael. Although its content reveals an introductory formula usually applied to indicate patronage, the author of this paper recognizes the signature of the painter and argues that similar inscriptions mentioning painters’ name are found in Albania since Middle Byzantine period. Another inscription of the same period mentioning the name of Michael is found at the church of St. George tou Vounou in Kastoria (1385).
Keywords: Cerckë; South Albania; fresco painting; paleologan; Michael.
How to Cite
1. In consideration of the undertaking set out in paragraph 2, and upon acceptance by ANGLISTICUM for publication of the manuscript in the Journal, I/We hereby assign and transfer publication rights to ANGLISTICUM, whereas I/We retain the copyright for the manuscript. This assignment provides ANGLISTICUM the sole right and responsibility to publish the manuscript in its printed and online version, and/or in other media formats.
2. In consideration of this assignment, ANGLISTICUM hereby undertakes to prepare and publish the manuscript in the Journal, subject only to its right to refuse publication if there is a breach of the Author’s warranty in paragraph 4 or if there are other reasonable grounds.
3. Editors and the editorial board of ANGLISTICUM are empowered to make such editorial changes as may be necessary to make the Manuscript suitable for publication.
4. I/We hereby acknowledge that: (a) The manuscript submitted is an original work and that I/We participated in the work substantively and thus I/We hereby are prepared to take public responsibility for the work; (b) I/We hereby have seen and approved the manuscript as submitted and that the manuscript has not either been published, submitted or considered for publication elsewhere; (c) The text, illustration, and any other materials included in the manuscript do not infringe upon any existing copyright or other rights of anyone.
5. I/We hereby indemnify ANGLISTICUM and the respective Editors of the Journal as mentioned in paragraph 3, and hold them harmless from any loss, expense or damage occasioned by a claim or suit by a third party for copyright infringement, or any suit arising out of any breach of the foregoing warranties as a result of publication of the manuscript.