APPROACHES TO TEACHING ENVIRONMENTAL EDUCATION IN ALBANIA: THE CASE OF SUBJECT SCHOOL PROGRAMS
This study emerges from the need to address the issues that environment faces in Albania by trying to pinpoint the underlying causes which are primarily human-made. Since humans stand behind the deterioration of environment the main focus of the study will be the evaluation of environmental education in the Albanian setting which is responsible for shaping up the environmental awareness, knowledge, and participation of citizens in getting involved with environmental actions. With the decline of quality of environment in the country it is necessary to re-establish the place that environmental education deserves in the national curriculum, subject programs and textbooks. The intended purpose of the research study is to present as a final product the information derived from poring over the national program and the subject programs developed by the Institute of Education Development. The study shows that Environmental Education (EE) is integrated into other subject fields through the multi-disciplinary and thematic-based approach. There is no separate EE subject in the pre-university curriculum except for the “Nature Knowledge” subject offered in the fifth grade at Lower Secondary Education which encompasses elements of EE in its range of topics. The findings will be necessary since they will be able to guide future environmental policies by the responsible institutions for development and implementation of environmental education in Albania.
Keywords: environmental education, curriculum, school programs approaches.
How to Cite
1. In consideration of the undertaking set out in paragraph 2, and upon acceptance by ANGLISTICUM for publication of the manuscript in the Journal, I/We hereby assign and transfer publication rights to ANGLISTICUM, whereas I/We retain the copyright for the manuscript. This assignment provides ANGLISTICUM the sole right and responsibility to publish the manuscript in its printed and online version, and/or in other media formats.
2. In consideration of this assignment, ANGLISTICUM hereby undertakes to prepare and publish the manuscript in the Journal, subject only to its right to refuse publication if there is a breach of the Author’s warranty in paragraph 4 or if there are other reasonable grounds.
3. Editors and the editorial board of ANGLISTICUM are empowered to make such editorial changes as may be necessary to make the Manuscript suitable for publication.
4. I/We hereby acknowledge that: (a) The manuscript submitted is an original work and that I/We participated in the work substantively and thus I/We hereby are prepared to take public responsibility for the work; (b) I/We hereby have seen and approved the manuscript as submitted and that the manuscript has not either been published, submitted or considered for publication elsewhere; (c) The text, illustration, and any other materials included in the manuscript do not infringe upon any existing copyright or other rights of anyone.
5. I/We hereby indemnify ANGLISTICUM and the respective Editors of the Journal as mentioned in paragraph 3, and hold them harmless from any loss, expense or damage occasioned by a claim or suit by a third party for copyright infringement, or any suit arising out of any breach of the foregoing warranties as a result of publication of the manuscript.